SEN (Local School Offer)


Here at City Road Primary School, we aim to ensure every child receives an excellent education.

We are proactive in our approach:

  • We believe in identifying difficulties early so that they do not become bigger barriers to learning.
  • We work in partnership with parents and families and external agencies to identify where pupils are having difficulties and to support them to achieve their potential.
  • We buy in additional support from external agencies to support teachers and children who require support, that is additional to and different from, that which is normally made available.

High quality teaching is the first layer of support. We ensure that the teaching that children receive is appropriately differentiated and we further facilitate this by the provision of smaller teaching groups.

  1. 1.What kinds of Special Educational Needs does our school make provision for?




Cognition and Learning

Children who work at a slower pace than their peers, even with appropriate differentiation.

Children with specific learning difficulties.

Differentiated curriculum.

Small teaching groups.

Pupil & School Support involvement.

In class support from Teaching Assistant.

Specialist teaching programmes to accelerate progress.

Involvement from School Educational Psychologist.

Communication and Interaction

Children with Speech, Language and Communication Needs.

Children with ASD, including Aspergers Syndrome and Autism.

Social interaction and communication support.

Level 1 Autistic Syndrome Disorder training.

Communication and Autism Team involvement.

Speech and Language Therapist involvement.

Early screening programmes.

Specialist teaching programmes to accelerate progress.

Social, Emotional and Mental Health difficulties

Children may experience a wide range of Social and emotional difficulties which manifest themselves in many ways.

Support from Learning Mentors.

School Nurse, who can also support referrals to Forward (mental and emotional health) resources.

School Educational Psychologist.

Home School Link Worker.

Sensory and/or Physical needs.

Children who require Special Educational provision which prevents or hinders them from making use of the facilities generally provided, for example, children with hearing or visual impairment.

Appropriate outside agency involvement e.g. Hearing Impaired Team or Visually Impaired Team.

Staff to implement physical exercises appropriate to individual needs.

Some specialist personalised resources within the classroom.

The majority of our school building is accessible for physically impaired children.


How do we know our provisions work?


Through daily observations, termly reviews and assessments. All Special Educational Needs (SEND) report actions are revisited, refined and revised regularly throughout the school year. Staff, parents and children are involved in the review process and their wishes and feelings are paramount.

  1. 2.How does our school identify and assess Special Educational Needs?


Identification may be made by the class teacher and concerns that are raised by the parent/guardian. Children’s views are also taken into consideration. A clear analysis of individual needs will be carried out by the class teacher with the support of the Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO).

When a child is identified as requiring addition support, a graduated approach is implemented. Where a child is identified as needing additional provision, which is different from the provision made generally for others of the same age, we will follow the 4 Point Plan – Assess, Plan, Do, Review. The thoughts and feelings of both parents and children will be central to the plan which will outline the provision we will make. These provisions will be reviewed regularly dependent on the need and the intervention.

  1. 3.How does the school know that progress is being made by children with SEND?


The school uses constant and consistent formal and informal assessments. Some assessment is made on a lesson-by-lesson basis and monitored by the class teacher. Each year group will carry out termly assessments in each subject.

Assessments are carried out at the beginning and end of any interventions which are in place, and of course, regularly observations are made by the teachers and any support staff involved. Outcomes of interventions delivered are evaluated through effective target setting and by employing a tiered response to the needs of the children and effective involvement of external professionals.

SEN children may be characterised by progress which

  • Is significantly slower than that of their peers
  • Fails to match or better the child’s previous rate of progress
  • Fails to close the attainment gap between the child and his/her peers
  • Widens the attainment gap

We have a planned and coordinated approach to the involvement of external professionals and to the identification of children in need of this support.

  1. 4.What extra-curricular activities can a child with SEND access at school?


Whenever possible, all children join in activities unless participation may cause distress, anxiety or risk. For these children alternative provision will be provided after discussions take place with them and their parents/carers.

  1. 5.Does the school have a Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator? Who are they and how can someone get in touch with them?

Ms. N. Pal is the school’s SENCO  and is in school every day

You can contact her on 0121 464 3348

Email: (subject:  for the attention of Ms. N. Pal SENCO)

Ms. N. Pal works with the children, parents, teachers and outside agencies to ensure that the needs of all children are met.

  1. 6. What training does the staff in school have in relation to pupils with SEND?

All staff in school attend a continuous and rigorous programme of training, in and out of the classroom, about all areas of need.

  1. 7.How does the school get more specialist help if they need it?


Agency or Service Who they work with
Pupil and School Support Service


All SEN children and teachers to support and assess children with cognition and learning difficulties.
Educational Psychology Service (EP) The EP Service provides psychological support for children, young people and families in a wide range of settings. They use their expertise to develop an understanding of childrens’ developmental issues, including very complex situations involving SEN.
Communication and Autism team All children who have a diagnosis of Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD). The CAT team work with teachers to suggest appropriate strategies to use to support. They work with parents and families to help reduce stress and anxiety related to autism.
Occupational Therapy Children who have identified physical difficulties.
Forward Thinking Birmingham Children with emotional and mental health problems are supported by this service.
Learning Mentors Children who are identified as needing extra support.
School Nurse Children with medical needs or health concerns.
Special Educational Needs Assessment and Review Service SENAR is responsible for the administration, assessment and the approval of Educational, Health Care Plans for children by Birmingham City Council.
Sensory Support – Hearing Impaired Team, Visually Impaired Team Children with hearing or visual difficulties.
Speech and Language Therapist Children with speech or communication difficulties. Supports staff with screening programmes and intervention programmes.
Health and medical needs – NHS services Children with specific health or medical needs, as and when appropriate, we receive support from specialist teams e.g. for children with Cystic Fibrosis or other severe medical conditions.


When a child needs specialist provision we will endeavour to work with parents/carers to make sure that it is provided.

  1. 8.How are the parents/carers of children with SEN involved in the education of their child?

We always welcome parental involvement and we hope that parents/carers will participate as fully as possible on decisions regarding their child’s education. We will have regard to the views, wishes and feelings of the child and their parents so that we can facilitate the development of the child and help them achieve the best possible educational and other outcomes, preparing them effectively for adulthood. Shared targets between home and school are agreed.

  1. 9.How are pupils with SEN involved with their own education?


We listen to the wishes and feelings of all our children and involve them in planning and decisions and we provide them with all the support and information needed to make those decisions. We support them formally and informally by providing high quality provision to help remove any barriers to their learning and their social development. Systems for collecting feedback from children are established and consistently applied and their targets are incorporated into plans.

  1. 10. If a parent of a child with SEN has a complaint about the school, how does the governing body deal with the complaint?


We would always aim to reach a satisfactory outcome, in partnership with the child and their parents/carers, by meeting and working together to find a solution. However, if a satisfactory solution cannot be reached, the parents should contact the Head of School, Mrs R. Begum. For further information, please see our Complaints Procedure on our website.

  1. 11. How does the governing body involve other people in meeting the needs of the children with SEN, including support for their families?

The governing body has a duty to ensure that the school adheres to the SEND Code of Practice under the Children and Families Act 2014. Some of the key responsibilities of the governing body are:

  • To appoint a governor who is responsible for Special Educational Needs or Disabilities.
  • To make sure that the school’s SEND policy is on the school website and is reviewed every year.
  • To ensure that all appropriate safeguarding procedures are in place for all children including those with SEND.

The executive headteacher, Mr Islam, the head of school, Mrs R. Begum and the SENCO, Ms. N. Pal are all answerable to the MAT Board of Trustees and the Local Governing Body of City Road Primary School for all aspects of SEND provision.

  1. 12.Who are the support services that can help parents with students who have SEN?

The SEN Information Organisations Group provides information to parents and carers of children and young people with SEN.


IPSEA – Independent Parental Special Educational Advice 0800 018 4016.

Contact a family – for families with disabled children Helpline: 0808 808 3555.

The Local Parent Partnership Service offers free, impartial, confidential and impartial information and advice to parents and carers of children and young people with SEN. 020 7843 6058.

Special Needs Jungle provides parent centred information, news, resources and informed opinion about SEN, disability, children’s health and SEN politics.

Birmingham City Council’s information about SEND provision in the city can be found at

  1. 13.How does the school support children with SEN through transitions?

The opinions of parents and children about the move will be central to the plan. They will be consulted about the information that should be included in the plan and passed on to the next Key Stage, School/College or other provision.

  1. 14.How can parents/guardians find the Birmingham Local Authority’s local offer?

Visit the Birmingham City Council Website:

You can also view this video: